Monday, December 2, 2013

5 Things I learned in the Campus Ministry

by Sem. Jeff Loma



Campus Ministry is one of the most enjoyable things that I experienced in my vocation journey. That is the birth of my “charism encounter” that I embraced the Canossian life as I would consider it. If you will just instill in your mind that being with children is boring and too tiring, perhaps, you would never enjoy and realize the value of fortitude within yourself. But as a seminarian who is willing to experience and endure the demands of this undertaking, inch by inch, you will understand and appreciate the beauty of helping others and submitting everything to God. As I come into contact with the campus ministry, I could share to you these 5 things I learned with:
1.Children really have pure hearts when they pray.
As when we teach children how to pray during our class sessions, you could see on their faces that they are really praying whole heartedly. They have this innocent core within them that you could witness their tender communication with the Lord. Children do not pray with their minds, if truth be told, they undeniably implore their intentions with their hearts and souls. And what is great about this is that we are the instruments of God on how we remind them that God is there for them.
2.You will be at one with children when you talk to them personally.
Children are very fragile in terms of their emotions. You cannot superficially get what they are experiencing in their lives especially with their families unless you talk to them with the heart. Sometimes, what they really show externally within them is not the true representation of their being but just a mere “defense mechanism” to hide their own selves. Thus, in order for me to understand them, I talk to them in person.
3.We are counselors-in-the-making.
Our roles as members and facilitators of the Campus Ministry are not just to teach or to proclaim the word of God. We are also good listeners or consolers of those children and youth experiencing problems and difficulties in terms of dealing with life. Though we are still just starting out with this ministry, I could say that we are indeed counselors-in-the-making. Through our little advises and suggestions to them or simply listening to their concerns, we are substantially contributing in terms of comfort in their hearts.
4.We are not just teachers, we are also games facilitators.
As we have noticed when we teach children in the campus, they are so jolly when we offer them some games.  However, it is not enough that you give them games which would not contribute to their development. That is why, when we have some games before the session ends, we see to it that it will still bring in the essence of learning. Most of our games are mind twisters that would help them think like Pinoy Henyo, Sharade, World Twist and others.
5.Teaching is not a boring undertaking but a very rewarding and satisfying mission.
Previously, I was not used to teach with the children since I graduated in the degree of Financial Management and that is not my forte. But as when I journey with this kind of life and start to embrace my vocation, I realized the importance of teaching and sharing not only the knowledge and thoughts that I have but also the values that the children must need to posses, is a very gratifying facet of my calling. It is very rewarding on my part when I see on the face of every child that they enjoy what we impart to them, the gratitude that we receive when we give advice to them, and the fulfillment we feel when we see them actualize the values that we pass on to them.
Campus ministry is a good training ground for the growth of a seminarian. It is a place where you cannot just have the personal encounter with the children. It is also a place where you will have the personal encounter with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment