Friday, October 18, 2013

A Smile That Turned Fear into a Statement of My Life as a Religious Seminarian



WE ARE CALLED TO LOVE
by Post. Fred. Nana

On June 21, 2012, we started our apostolate area at Luwalhati ng Maynila: Home for the Aged, Marikina City just for the orientation before the acceptance to postulancy. It was for the first time and I could still feel the excitement at that time. The moment we stoop in we were reminded by one of the novices “please read the beatitudes before you enter” and I thought it was only a joke but as I read it I realized that it is true. Indeed, we are called to do what God wants us for his mission and our service should come from within a heart that loves without boundaries.


I found myself before the aged get totally mixed with feelings. Thus, to my simple question: “why am I here?” I did not answer and just continue the service while waiting for the time to go home because of many reasons regarding the environment of Luwalhati.

Every Thursday from 6:00-09:30 in the morning, we spent our time with the old ones; clean their nails shave the beards and cut their hairs. While doing service we also listened to their life stories, everybody shared different stories. Every time we go there we can see them waiting with their bags just like the passengers waiting for the bus to come. We can see their longing for their family and children to come but nobody comes; I think we are their families, the visitors, the students and those who are coming to visit them. They are very happy with our presence in their community. At Luwalhati ng Maynila, we are not only to serve and just leave when the time is over but to share and listen to what they need, not only material things but spiritually. Here we can bring Christ in their midst because we believe that what ever we build it should be Christ is the foundation; Christ is the center of our lives. We may ask question: where are the children of these people? What did they do to their children while they were together? Were they cruel to their children or they just abandoned them? Or may be that is the reason which is why the children ignore them? There will be answers and we are the answer. We are called to serve and to love everyone no matter who they are because God always wants us to go and serve without counting the cost.

I remembered one Thursday, I was cutting the hair of an old lady and came one of the teachers, and she asked me: “Kuya, how much is your salary every month? I look at her with a simple smile and I told her: I have salary; I am a volunteer-brother. And she left a smile saying: God bless you, brother.


I realized in fact that I had expected too much from the time I went to Luwalhati for the first time, reflecting on the state of mind that day, I realized that I have turned a fear into a statement of my life as a religious seminarian. I understood this also a test of heart to love without measuring the boundaries, to love even without knowing who they are because life and love is something immensely greater, created by God who is love and it is fulfilled when love grows and when we love others as ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment