Friday, October 18, 2013

How To Turn Tensions to Redemption



Last school year I had a privilege to have my apostolic experience in our parish in Jipapad, Eastern Samar. It was of my choice and with the support of my formator to be assigned there. For almost one year, I had been staying there and helping our parish priest in doing some parochial activities, particularly with the youth. Beforehand, I already told myself that it would not be an easy experience for me. First and foremost that year was a transition to new parish administration, which was unchanged for the past 35 years. Unfortunately, there were tensions during these times.   


It is a reality that sometimes we cannot get the attention of everyone. Some did not like the new administration, particularly those who were not ready for the change and were already fixed in their mentality to the old administration; while others were very supportive and open for development. Facing this reality, my first five months of stay there was filled with struggles. The community of religious was trying hard to be united. This situation also affects our service to the people in the parish. Due to the existing tension we had the difficulty in organizing various ministerial groups in the parish. Nonetheless, despite the condition I can still feel God guiding and strengthening me in the moment of pressure. 



The tension did not stop us from fulfilling our mission in the parish. I said to myself, “Never mind the tension, just focus on the mission”. It was the reason that I went there, and if I let myself to be carried by the tension for sure nothing will happen to me. The Parish Priest had given me the task to handle various youth groups. 


TURN 5 to 32 


I was given the responsibilities to train the altar servers, to handle the choir group, and generally to assist in the Oratorio. When I arrived in our parish in Jipapad, there were only five sacristans, and so, we recruited some young boys who are willing to serve in the parish as altar server. After the recruitment, accompanied with a series of formations, we were able to install 32 altar servers that are now helping the priest during the mass and in other liturgical services. We had a weekly meeting for scheduling and formation. During the installation, I can see the joy in the face of the new altar servers. Their parents were happy too for them and were present in the occasion.



In the parish oratorio we encourage the youth within the area to join the daily rosary and other worships in the parish church and also to get involve in various parish ministries. It is good that in the place of Jipapad it is still not so difficult to gather the youth in the parish, due to the fact that the area is quite isolated, which is why; there are less other factors that would get the attentions of the young people. This is an advantage that I see for the Oratorio.


BROTHER-TURNED-CHOIR MASTER

Indeed there are plenty of works to do in the Oratorio than dwelling on the tensions around. There, I was also given the task to handle the choir group of the Oratorio. With my little knowledge in singing, I was trying hard to teach them some songs for the mass, which I also learned in the seminary. I was thankful that we were able to invite a good number of young people to join the choir. It was quite a funny experience; primarily I couldn’t imagine myself teaching the choir, and I even did not desire to be assigned as music coordinator in our community in the seminary. But since I was given the task, so I gave the best that I could in order to improve the choir group. Not to mention the struggles that I passed in learning some songs to teach them.


  


TURNED PYD ORGANIZER

 Another unforgettable experience that I had was being present during the yearly youth gathering of the parish or the “Parish Youth Day”. In that activity we invited the young people from the different villages to join the event. Though it was a tiring experience of preparation, I personally enjoy the activity and happy to see the young people gathered together to meet new friends, to have fun, to learn, and most especially to worship God as one.











Along the way, I did not notice that I am about to finish my pastoral year. Given the opportunities to handle various tasks and to work with the youth relieved me from the tension brought about by the transition. Somehow it leads me to redemption and to a much meaningful experience. Indeed it is true that having a strong desire to serve the Lord is much greater than all the trials, tensions, and difficulties along the way. In fact, it helps to overcome our troubles and fear in the mission. As we continue in doing our mission, God will take care of our burdens. I realize that there is much joy in seeing others happy because of you; feels liberated in seeing others being liberated. At the end, I just realize that I was able to survive my pastoral year. I finished it with joy in my heart rather than regret in choosing to be there. Such experience from tension to the experience of redemption is something that I can treasure in my life as religious. It deepens more my faith to God, the source of my vocation.



No comments:

Post a Comment